• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keeping the ring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kittus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

My husband and I have been married only a short time (5 months) and are filing for divorce. My engagement ring is also my wedding ring. It is appraised @ 40K, however I left all furniture, etc with hiim. He owns two businesses and his house is valued at appx 275K. Can I keep the ring?

Farfalla

My husband and I have been married only a short time (5 months) and are filing for divorce. My engagement ring is also my wedding ring. It is appraised @ 40K, however I left all furniture, etc with hiim. He owns two businesses and his house is valued at appx 275K. Can I keep the ring?
Who is asking for the divorce? What is the reason?

Who bought the furniture? Was it bought with martial income or brought before marriage by one or both of your with separate assets?

Who put down the money on the house? Was it bought before you married? Are both of you on the mortgage? Are both of you on the deed?

nextwife

Who brought what assets to the marriage? His NON marital assets are irrelevant, BTW. So, for example, if you married and moved into his already owned already furnished home, "leaving" the furniture is APPROPRIATE, not magnanimous.

WHO asked for this divorce?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The ring belongs to OP. She can keep it. It was given as a conditional gift and she met the condition.

mistoffolees

In general, the ring is yours to keep. It was a gift to you with the expectation that you'd marry him - which you did.

As for the rest, you are entitled to half of MARITAL property. Since you've only been married 5 months, it may be that the marital component is insignificant.

For example, if he owned the home and furniture before you were married, the home has probably not gone up in value given the current real estate market and the furniture would have declined in value (since furniture is generally valued at garage sale prices for divorce purposes). Therefore, you wouldn't be entitled to any portion of either of these items.

Same thing with the businesses. If the businesses were purchased before the marriage and no marital resources have gone into them, then you're not going to be entitled to any of them.

If, on the other hand, you bought the businesses with wedding gifts and you've both worked in them to increase their value stratospherically and they now have a great deal of value, then you'd be entitled to half. That doesn't seem likely in 5 months, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">