• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keeping someone out of my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jas256

I live in Iowa and my girlfriend is going through a divorce and custody battle because her husband is bitter. He told her to move out last February out of her home. She moved in with me with his help and condolences. Now he plans of moving his girlfriend into her house without her permission. His name is NOT on the home at all. Her name as is his father's name is on the mortgage (the father lives in CA). What can she do to prevent his girlfriend from moving in? By the way, he has been late on the mortgage at least 5 times and it's been up for foreclosure twice. His Dad's credit and my girlfriend's are getting dinged big-time.

LdiJ

jas256 said:
I live in Iowa and my girlfriend is going through a divorce and custody battle because her husband is bitter. He told her to move out last February out of her home. She moved in with me with his help and condolences. Now he plans of moving his girlfriend into her house without her permission. His name is NOT on the home at all. Her name as is his father's name is on the mortgage (the father lives in CA). What can she do to prevent his girlfriend from moving in? By the way, he has been late on the mortgage at least 5 times and it's been up for foreclosure twice. His Dad's credit and my girlfriend's are getting dinged big-time.
She needs to file suit immediately to partition the home, to force it to be sold.
Otherwise her credit is going to be damaged even worse.

seniorjudge

jas256 said:
I'm sure I got who was screwing who in this adultery soap opera, so I hope this answers your question:

If the person who owns the house has not rented it to anyone, then the owner can kick out trespassers. If the person living in the house has some right to be there and wants to have guests over, then that is okay.

But, all this should be settled and spelled out clearly in the judgment of the lawsuit.

nextwife

If it is her house, why is she leaving it up to him to make payments? She should make the payments herself.. That's what I do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">