• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KS - student loans 3 years after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nailpolish

What is the name of your state? - Kansas

our divorce was finalized in 2004 and since we didnt have anything to divide, there was nothing about assets or debts in the divorce decree. Now, three years later, my ex wants me to pay half of his student loans. :D

can he do that since the divorce was finalized 3 years ago, and if he can, what kind of law suit would it be? Like amending the divorce decree or would it have to be just a civil law suit for money? How easy would it be for him to win it, since I havent heard from him in years and now he comes up with something like that :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He would have to try to amend the divorce decree and after three years that is not going to be very easy to do. Assets and debts should have been taken care of at the time.

LdiJ

Has he actually filed anything? I doubt he would get much enouragement from an attorney.

nailpolish

Has he actually filed anything? I doubt he would get much enouragement from an attorney.
oh no, he hasnt filed anything. He is just trying to scare me, I am sure. He said that he wants to resolve this peacefully, but if I dont comply, the law suit would be very ugly. LOL. :D :D

I told him that I will only be talking to his lawyer after he files anything against me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">