• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer failed to notify client of Bifurcation hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cecily

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am in the middle of a rather large divorce.
My x had our marriage bifurcated, status only, through the courts.
My attorney failed to notify me of the hearing.

No what?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am in the middle of a rather large divorce.
My x had our marriage bifurcated, status only, through the courts.
My attorney failed to notify me of the hearing.

No what?
When was the hearing? Why didn't your attorney notify you? Where are you in the proceedings? What has been settled if anything? What is still outstanding? When did you receive the outcome of the hearing?

seniorjudge

Double post warning

https://forum.freeadvice.com/divorce-separation-annulment-36/bifurcation-status-only-434024.html

Cecily

Birucation

When was the hearing? Why didn't your attorney notify you? Where are you in the proceedings? What has been settled if anything? What is still outstanding? When did you receive the outcome of the hearing?

The hearing was 18 months ago.
I have asked and asked about this issue with the attorney working on my case.

The attorney who failed to respond to the hearing is no longer with the firm.

Nothing has been settled. I have control of the home and my car only.
In reality he has successfully controling those issues as well. the X is.

The attorney who failed to notify my called me a week later to tell me I was no longer married.

She did not explain the bifurcation issue. I found it on my own by reviewing our hearings at the court house.

It was never really explained to me. To this day I bring it up as it has had a negative impact on my divorce. The attorney in the firm's answer to me of late was.
"I wasn't on the case then."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">