• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lazy soon to be EX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crazy Life

What is the name of your state? tx

My soon to be EX has stop working, and does not plan on working so she can collect as much as possible for child support. I send her money every month for the bills which she pays late every month. The house in in my name because her credit score was a 420 when we got married. I have two questions First can I sell the house since we have not filed for a divorce yet to keep her from screwing with my credit? I'm in the military so I have to send her the money regardless until we get a divorce she just don't use it for the right purpose. My next question is how will I be able to check when she gets a job because I believe she is not telling me the truth, and I'm ready to be done with her.

JETX

Crazy Life said:
can I sell the house since we have not filed for a divorce yet to keep her from screwing with my credit?
Nope. Texas is a community property state and even though your name may be the only one on the title (if it is, your post didn't say!!), she would have a claim to any equity increase since the marriage.

how will I be able to check when she gets a job because I believe she is not telling me the truth, and I'm ready to be done with her.
Absent having someone local who can check for you, you are just going to have to trust her.

ceara19

It doesn't matter whether she has a job or not. Texas only takes the NCP's income into consideration when setting child support.

For the time being, stop sending the money directly to her. Send it straight to whomever it is owed.

She has pobably quit working in an attempt to try and collect SPOUSAL support. If you have been married for OVER 10 years, you can be held liable to pay short term support. If you have NOT been married 10 years, her lawyer is going to ask for temporary spousal support for the duration of the divorce proceedings (she can ASK for 25% of your income). If she gets it, I'm sure she will try to drag out the divorce as long as possible.

rmet4nzkx

Since you are in the military, there may be some other options re how much and how you provide the money, please consult JAG so as to protect your military status. If you are deployed, you may invoke the SSCRA. It may be possible to directly pay the mortgage and to set up an allotment. Are there any support orders? Here is a link re Texas divorce law and military, it is written by the Army but should help some.
http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/sja/txdivinfo2.htm

Crazy Life

lazy soon to be ex

I do not have any support orders at this time. Also the house is in NC. I not sure which state to file for a divorce in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">