• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving the home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msthemom

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I am considering a legal separation and want to know if I leave our home and establish residence elsewhere before the separation is completed, will I lose any rights to my portion of the proceeds from the sale of the property?

moburkes

I am considering a legal separation and want to know if I leave our home and establish residence elsewhere before the separation is completed, will I lose any rights to my portion of the proceeds from the sale of the property?
Not for that particular reason, no.

LdiJ

No, if you are a legal owner of the home moving out won't stop that nor stop your right to a share of the proceeds if the home is sold. It might not even stop your share of a legal right to a share of the proceeds even if you aren't a legal owner of the home.

However, your "share" depends on a whole host of legal factors...none of which you have chosen to disclose here.

Bali Hai

No, if you are a legal owner of the home moving out won't stop that nor stop your right to a share of the proceeds if the home is sold. It might not even stop your share of a legal right to a share of the proceeds even if you aren't a legal owner of the home.

However, your "share" depends on a whole host of legal factors...none of which you have chosen to disclose here.
Her husband kept her barefoot and pregnant for years.
Her husband beat her and she has the scares to prove it.
Her husband would not allow her to to retain full time employment because she is a foxy chick and he is jealous as hell.
Her husband is a drunk.
Her husband gambles away marital assets.
Her husband leaves beer cans all over the house while she is getting her nails done.
Her husband farts in church.

What more do you need??

Woops, almost forgot these:

Her husband is a child molester.
Her husband cheats on his income taxes.
Her husband is hiding marital money from her.

Take your pick.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">