• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wend32

I now live in Oklahoma. My husband is an alcoholic, drug addict. He is abusive and controlling. He is getting ready to be put in jail or go into a year long substance abuse rehab center. He knows I want to leave and get a divorce. I want to leave now and move back to where I am from in Ohio. Can I just pack up everything and move my kids and myself legally? I do not have the money to file for a divorce or separation or anything. My parents are going to pay for me to move and help me get an apartment. Can I do the legal stuff later in Ohio after I can afford it?

Yes, and no. You can go, but he can file for relief in Ok. and you would have to comeback and fight it in Ok. If your parents are going to help you when you get in Ohio, why not help pay for a do-it-yourself divorce, does not sound like alot of moeny is going to trade hands in this seperation.

nextwife

Be aware that you likely have a legal responsibilty for the mortgage or rent. You need to deal with that issue so it does not come back to bite you financially. The mortgage company or landlord probably has the right to hold you to your legal responsibilty to them, so don't just pack up and go without addressing this responsibilty, or you could end up with a large judgement against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">