• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving the state with child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jea56

My daughter currently resides in Fla and has for all her life. Due to numerous problems her husband has located in Louisiana. They have a 3 yr child. My daughter is considering moving to LA to try and give it her last shot. The odds are not in her favor that the marriage will last and that she will want to stay there. My question is if after she moves to LA and establishes residency, if she decides that it is not working and wants to move back to Fla with the child, from a legal prospective can she freely take the child and move back. Is there any kind of law that would now bind her to LA since her husband is there. Can a court order be established mandating that she is not allowed to leave the state of LA with the child for her husband or his parents?

G

grandpabri

If there has been no custody order in place, either parent has the right to move with their child wherever they want. Now if she is there for some years, and the dad can make a case that the child should not be moved because of family, school, or other ties, she may need to leave the child there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">