• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal actions for owing property damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chuck24

The name of my state is georgia. I signed the divorce papers from my wife before fully understanding them, I was excited to finally sign them.

I owe my wife money for some property damage which is included in the divorce somewhere. The paper was signed on the 17th of june and I guess the payments were to start as soon as i signed them.

I can only afford to send her money on the 15th of each month and she wants it on the 1st of each month. She is threatining to go to the court and have me arrested if I do not pay her on the first. Can she do this? What can she legally do if i fail to pay her?:confused:

H

hexeliebe

What to the divorce papers say as to when the payments begin and when they are due?

C

chuck24

i signed the papers on the 17th, the only thing the papers said is that the payments were to begin when the papers were signed, it didn't say when they were due, just when they began.

thank you for your reply

H

hexeliebe

Don't you have a copy of the divorce papers? If yes, then please type exactly the passage where the payments are concerned.

If not, then go to the courthouse on Monday and get a copy then come back here and do the above.

C

chuck24

that the parties have entered into a stipulation and agreement resolving all issues between them which should be sanctioned and approved by this honorable court. the defendant matthew william warren hereby agrees to pay the plaintiff, cassandra warren a total amount of $3500 dollars at a rate of $725 for 6 months.

H

hexeliebe

If that is the exact wording of the portion of your divorce decree then pay her when you want within the month.

Absent any specific language as to payment schedules in the divorce decree, you are not obligated to follow any payment schedule even if it comes from your ex.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">