• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Julia Lyle

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX, MN

I recently moved to Minnesota (1 month) thinking moving would solve all of my husband and my problems and somehow begin a new start. Unfortunately and silly me, the problems just followed. I want to return home, Texas, with my daughter. My husband is threatening to not let my daughter go with me. I was planning on driving my car back and staying in our house in Texas. What are my rights?>

rmet4nzkx

You have not been in MN long enough to establish resifency so you could return to your home in TX and file for custody and divorce/separation, there as that is your place of residency, your trip to MN a vacation as such. In your custody filing, you would ask for language that limits moving away. It would be best to consult an attorney as custody cases with "move away" issues can be difficult.

LdiJ

Julia Lyle said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX, MN

I recently moved to Minnesota (1 month) thinking moving would solve all of my husband and my problems and somehow begin a new start. Unfortunately and silly me, the problems just followed. I want to return home, Texas, with my daughter. My husband is threatening to not let my daughter go with me. I was planning on driving my car back and staying in our house in Texas. What are my rights?>
You are all still legal residents of TX, and you have every right to move back there with your child. Texas would still have jurisdiction of any child custody matters. If you are going to do it, its best to do it as soon as possible. However you both have equal legal rights to the child, so if dad tried to physically stop you the police wouldn't intervene....therefore plan accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">