• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apadilla73

New Mexico What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I have been divorced for over 10 yrs and continue to get greif from the Ex.. I am a good father to my kids and have never failed to pay child support. I am at my wits end with how my Ex continues to try to control my life... I love my girls and will always be there for them... I need to know what the reprocautions would be if I relinqushed all parental rights with my girls to her? I know I will not have any rights and will still have an obligations financially to my girls and I do not have a problem with that, but how would effect child support and visitation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have been divorced for over 10 yrs and continue to get greif from the Ex.. I am a good father to my kids and have never failed to pay child support. I am at my wits end with how my Ex continues to try to control my life... I love my girls and will always be there for them... I need to know what the reprocautions would be if I relinqushed all parental rights with my girls to her? I know I will not have any rights and will still have an obligations financially to my girls and I do not have a problem with that, but how would effect child support and visitation?
What "rights" do you think you could give up that would change your situation?

mistoffolees

If you relinquish your parental rights, you lose visitation rights but still have a child support obligation.

That's assuming that the courts would even let you do it. Unless there's someone else to take over your responsibilities, they might not.

Zigner

He knows what rights he's giving up, he's asking what the reprocautions are.
I disagree.

He wants to give up "rights' but then asks how it will affect CS and visitation. I don't think he knows what rights he wants to give up.

What he REALLY wants to do is have nothing what-so-ever to do with the kids except to pay CS. He can do that without relinquishing ANY rights.

Zigner

If you relinquish your parental rights, you lose visitation rights but still have a child support obligation.

That's assuming that the courts would even let you do it. Unless there's someone else to take over your responsibilities, they might not.
Negative - once his parental rights are terminated, he's no longer "dad"

Bali Hai

I disagree.

He wants to give up "rights' but then asks how it will affect CS and visitation. I don't think he knows what rights he wants to give up.

What he REALLY wants to do is have nothing what-so-ever to do with the kids except to pay CS. He can do that without relinquishing ANY rights.
He wants to terminate the grief he gets from his divorced wife of 10 years who apparently still henpecks the hell out of him to this day.

He loves his girls, but, thinks in some way, giving up his parental rights will end the horrendous attacks he receives from the ex-wife.

She has obviously driven him to the edge and it won't take much for him to jump. Poor guy.

Zigner

He wants to terminate the grief he gets from his divorced wife of 10 years who apparently still henpecks the hell out of him to this day.

He loves his girls, but, thinks in some way, giving up his parental rights will end the horrendous attacks he receives from the ex-wife.

She has obviously driven him to the edge and it won't take much for him to jump. Poor guy.
I won't comment on most of your post. Except, I will disagree with the last two words.

You say "Poor guy."

I say "Poor kids."

apadilla73

I have started a new family and it has affected everything. My kids all get along great, it is just the Ex continuing to make our live miserable. I feel that if I made this decision to reliquish rights it would help the situation with my family, but on the other hand not fair to my girls... If I made this decision and continued to pay child support the question would be would she continue to make our live miserable? I asked my Father for some advice, and he said to do what I need to do. He also told me my child support would go up.. Is that true? He also said that they as grandparents have rights...

Zigner

You can stop having contact with the kids and just continue to pay CS. You don't HAVE to play her games.

But, the "poor kids" comment is definitely true. Bali has been hurt before, and his posts are indicative of that. However, it sure seems like YOU are the one who is falling down here. You would rather throw your time away than enforce your rights. Your daughters know this and judge you accordingly.

mistoffolees

You can stop having contact with the kids and just continue to pay CS. You don't HAVE to play her games.

But, the "poor kids" comment is definitely true. Bali has been hurt before, and his posts are indicative of that. However, it sure seems like YOU are the one who is falling down here. You would rather throw your time away than enforce your rights. Your daughters know this and judge you accordingly.
I agree completely. He doesn't have the backbone to stand up to his ex, so his girls are going to suffer.

kimberlywrites

I have started a new family and it has affected everything. My kids all get along great, it is just the Ex continuing to make our live miserable. I feel that if I made this decision to reliquish rights it would help the situation with my family, but on the other hand not fair to my girls... If I made this decision and continued to pay child support the question would be would she continue to make our live miserable? I asked my Father for some advice, and he said to do what I need to do. He also told me my child support would go up.. Is that true? He also said that they as grandparents have rights...
She controls you because you LET HER. Giving up your rights is probably what she wants.
To be blunt, grow some balls.

Proserpina

And there we have it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">