• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal financial separation same/as costly as legal separation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adviseme7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My husband and I do not agree in ANY financial matter, of which he has full control. He recently has taken his mom's small inheritance into his own hands, which is quickly disappearing. He also plans on starting a business using his mother's remaining inheritance, and since I did not fully agree with his decision, he has decided that I will not have ANY control of the business or money matters of the business, as well as his mother's inheritance. Meanwhile, he is also purchasing a house, mortgage loan under his name alone. I have realized that I should separate my financial responsibility and credit in order to preserve them for my future plans. I have not had a job since our marriage (a little over 5 years) due to severe disagreements, but I am planning on starting my own business soon. What is the simplest and most affordable method of legally separating our finances and credit in order for me to operate completely independently of his financial responsibilities and debt?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My husband and I do not agree in ANY financial matter, of which he has full control. He recently has taken his mom's small inheritance into his own hands, which is quickly disappearing. He also plans on starting a business using his mother's remaining inheritance, and since I did not fully agree with his decision, he has decided that I will not have ANY control of the business or money matters of the business, as well as his mother's inheritance. Meanwhile, he is also purchasing a house, mortgage loan under his name alone. I have realized that I should separate my financial responsibility and credit in order to preserve them for my future plans. I have not had a job since our marriage (a little over 5 years) due to severe disagreements, but I am planning on starting my own business soon. What is the simplest and most affordable method of legally separating our finances and credit in order for me to operate completely independently of his financial responsibilities and debt?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

His inheritance is HIS separate property and he can do with what he will. Get a job and get a divorce.

mistoffolees

His inheritance is HIS separate property and he can do with what he will. Get a job and get a divorce.
True. To answer the other question, the easiest way to completely separate finances is a divorce. Without that, there will always be gray areas and areas of overlap.

If OP wants to stay married, then they need to learn to work together and meet with an estate planner to help them figure out what is his, what is hers, and what is theirs - and then put documentation in place to codify that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">