• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal to lock out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TammyM73

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have recently left my husband and left the house, our chlidren are with me.
My husband recently locked me out of our home and will not let me in. all of our belongings are still in the home and the only reason that we left is because of his drinking problem and the children were continusly asking me if could leave because they are so uncomfortable aroung him. does he have the right to lock me out of our home that we share together and that we are both on the mortgage of the house?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have recently left my husband and left the house, our chlidren are with me.
My husband recently locked me out of our home and will not let me in. all of our belongings are still in the home and the only reason that we left is because of his drinking problem and the children were continusly asking me if could leave because they are so uncomfortable aroung him. does he have the right to lock me out of our home that we share together and that we are both on the mortgage of the house?
Nope. If you are on the deed you are also an owner and it is YOUR house. The best thing to do however is go to court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He does have the right to change the locks on his own property. You also have the right to get in to your own house in whatever manner you need (ie: you can hire a locksmith, or you can break the window and crawl in).

Yes, you need to get this case in to court. Consult with a local attorney.

(I'm not disagreeing with OG - just with the way she said it ;) )

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He does have the right to change the locks on his own property. You also have the right to get in to your own house in whatever manner you need (ie: you can hire a locksmith, or you can break the window and crawl in).

Yes, you need to get this case in to court. Consult with a local attorney.

(I'm not disagreeing with OG - just with the way she said it ;) )
I can agree with the way you said it. That takes more typing. He can't lock HER out of HER property is another way to express it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can agree with the way you said it. That takes more typing. He can't lock HER out of HER property is another way to express it.
Yeah - my fingers were a bit antsy this morning...so more typing was ok with me! ;):D

Golfball

I guess a better response would be "No, you cannot be locked out of your house, unless state law (or a court order) permits the occupant to do so."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">