• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal marriage???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandingo

I currently live in the State of New York, separated from my husband (?), whom I married in March 2005 in the State of Georgia. When we got married, I failed to disclose a previous marriage (to the authorities as well as to the man I got married to). My husband found out shortly thereafter that I had previously been married, and we fell out and I moved back to NY. I am wondering if my marriage is valid. I also would like to know what the consequences could be if I will ever be found out by the authorities. I hope this is enough information to answer my questions... thanks for whatever help you can offer!

Golfball

I currently live in the State of New York, separated from my husband (?), whom I married in March 2005 in the State of Georgia. When we got married, I failed to disclose a previous marriage (to the authorities as well as to the man I got married to). My husband found out shortly thereafter that I had previously been married, and we fell out and I moved back to NY. I am wondering if my marriage is valid. I also would like to know what the consequences could be if I will ever be found out by the authorities. I hope this is enough information to answer my questions... thanks for whatever help you can offer!
How was your previous marriage terminated, if at all?

sandingo

Yes it is valid> However he could request an annullment based on fraud.
Wouldn't he have to prove that I lied to him? Or is it proof enough that I had lied on the marriage license application? I know I got myself in a big mess here, and I'm simply trying to undo it in the least painful way possible. What are the consequences for me (legally, since I lied on the app?

LdiJ

You would still need to get a divorce or annulment.

sandingo

You would still need to get a divorce or annulment.
I understand that, but what are the legal implications for me lying on the marriage license application? And how easy is it for him to obtain an annulment? I know that I should have told the truth in the first place, but what's done is done... I'm just trying to get myself out of this situation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I understand that, but what are the legal implications for me lying on the marriage license application? And how easy is it for him to obtain an annulment? I know that I should have told the truth in the first place, but what's done is done... I'm just trying to get myself out of this situation.
Lying on a marriage license application is a crime. Hence that could very well be enough. Grant him a divorce and walk away with what you came to the marriage with and that is all.

seniorjudge

It's a lot easier to get a divorce instead of an annulment.

I doubt seriously that failing to disclose a prior marriage would rise to the level of fraud required for an annulment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">