• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angelheart

I'm Angel and I live in New Jersey. I'm currently seeking a divorce from my husband of almost 7 yrs. While speaking to a friend of mine, she informed me that my marriage may not be legal. I am curious to know if this is at all true.

I told her about when my husband and I filed for our marriage license. That day we went to our town city hall and they requested a witness be present to sign the marriage license. The clerk asked that it be someone who has know us for some time. My husbands friend came to vouch for us. The clerk proceeded to ask her how long she knew the both of us and she in turn stated that, she knew my husband for 19 yrs, which was true. Then she informed the clerk that she knew me for at least 13 yrs., which wasn't true at all. I had just met her about 5 mths before this date. I agreed with her and said that i was correct.

Since our marriage a great deal of things have happened from abuse to lack of sexual encounter. I would like to know if this is at all true and if so what will happen and what can I do?

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciate.

Sincerely,

D

dorenephilpot

One lie about the length of time the witness knew you doesn't invalidate the marriage. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, but that's what the answer is if you are.

You might be able to get the marriage annulled if it wasn't consummated.

Or you might just file for divorce, which is simpler.

Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">