• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Publication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amontanagal

I am in the process of filing for my own divorce. I am in Montana, spouse's whereabouts are unknown. Summons was returned to me as not at last known location. Now I need to put a legal ad in newspaper (out of state). My question is how often do I need to have this published? and for how long?......Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Amontanagal said:
I am in the process of filing for my own divorce. I am in Montana, spouse's whereabouts are unknown. Summons was returned to me as not at last known location. Now I need to put a legal ad in newspaper (out of state). My question is how often do I need to have this published? and for how long?......Thanks
My response:

Well, first, you need to write and file a Motion to the court to obtain permission and orders from the court to publish the Summons. You can't just send it to a newspaper and tell them to publish it. They won't.

So, go to a large bookstore and pick up a book on Divorce. In it, you'll read the instructions for "Publication of Summons" and sample Pleadings or Motions that you'll need to file with the court.

Normally, a publication of Summons must appear 3 times, once a week, for 3 consecutive weeks, in a newspaper of general circulation, nearest to where your husband was last known to have lived.

Expect to pay anywhere from $150.00 to $300.00 to the newspaper to publish the Summons.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

D

deefran

Wouldn't it just be easier to file for divorce under abandonment?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

deefran said:
Wouldn't it just be easier to file for divorce under abandonment?
My response:

Deefran, you're talking about "grounds for divorce", and the writer and I are talking about "procedure" for giving Notice of the divorce. One has nothing to do with the other - - at this point.

It makes no difference what the grounds are (if "grounds" are even necessary), you still need to give the other spouse a Constitutional opportunity to obtain Notice of the proceedings.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">