• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Question concerning property rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TickledPink

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am contemplating moving out and seeking a divorce. If I move out of our home, do I forfeit my right to the equity on the sale of the home? If I move out, can I retrieve property that is determined to be mine later? How is property division determined? I own most of the furnishings from before I was married. Will I be able to take those things with me? What about my son's bed that was purchased during the marriage? Can I take that with me? How much does the average noncontested divorce cost in Indiana? My son is from my first marriage so there is no custody or child support to dispute. The main things will be our personal property, the equity on the house and the 401K from his job. Any constructive input is appreciated.

T

TickledPink

Bump

I can't believe how many people have viewed this thread and not one post.

C

csm

I'm not from Indiana but in PA you can take anything that is in the house. If you move out you do not forfeit any of your rights. You are still eligible for 1/2 of everything obtained during the marriage. Even if you leave things behind that does not mean you are forfeiting your right to them. Until you have a legal agreement all assets and debts are considered joint property.

T

TickledPink

Thank you

Thank you for posting. I appreciate your advice even if you aren't from Indiana :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">