• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal sep to divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Will Burr

Divorced in california in 06. After judge accepted agreement (child/assets) we chose legal seperation.

Both of us would now like to switch to divorce status.

To clarify**************....I'm using the word divorce figuratively (I'm a carpenter....I assumed a lawyer reading this would understand).
In 06 we filed for "divorce", the judge accepted our application; child support, custody and assets are all settled. As far as CA government/law is concerned we are no longer a married couple. Our marital seperation agreement is final (of course child support can always be reopened as with divorce or any other status) The main reason people check the box that reads "legal seperation" is for religous reasons and as in my case to keep my wife on my insurance (not fraud/not illegal).

How do we change to divorced? We don't want to change anything else.

Thank You

Last edited:

LdiJ

Divorced in california in 06. After judge accepted agreement (child/assets) we chose legal seperation.

Both of us would now like to switch to divorce status.

How do we do this?

Thank You
Well...that is a bit confusing. Firsted you state you divorced in 06, and then you state that you legally separated. Its one or the other.

If you simply legally separated, then now you have to file for divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">