• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NovaStar

What is the name of your state? Iowa

My husband and I have been married for seven years and recently moved from Arizona to Iowa. After four months, my husband decided that he's unhappy and moved back to Arizona. If I file for a legal separation, would we have to follow Arizona or Iowa laws?

LdiJ

NovaStar said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

My husband and I have been married for seven years and recently moved from Arizona to Iowa. After four months, my husband decided that he's unhappy and moved back to Arizona. If I file for a legal separation, would we have to follow Arizona or Iowa laws?
I don't believe that Iowa would have jurisdiction until you have lived there for 6 full months. Therefore at this point you would most likely have to file in AZ. You may want to hold off for another couple of months before filing. However at this point he could file in AZ and then you would be stuck with AZ having jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">