• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ace5374

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I asked my husband for a divorce, but here in Charlotte you have to be separated for a year before you can even file. I need to know how I can get my husband out of my house to even file for a legal separation. It is my house, in my name he is not on the deed, but he says he will leave when he is ready because I can't put him out. He is mentally and verbally abusive with much potential to be physically abusive.What can I do?

mistoffolees

I asked my husband for a divorce, but here in Charlotte you have to be separated for a year before you can even file. I need to know how I can get my husband out of my house to even file for a legal separation. It is my house, in my name he is not on the deed, but he says he will leave when he is ready because I can't put him out. He is mentally and verbally abusive with much potential to be physically abusive.What can I do?
It's not likely that you're going to be able to remove him just because you want to.

If he were physically abusive or an immediate danger to you, you could get a protection order. For 'mentally and verbally abusive' that's going to be tough.

See an attorney.

LdiJ

I will echo the other advice. Consult a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">