• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shellypep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I recently moved back to NY from Michigan. My wife and daughter live in michigan. I told by my wife of 5 years that she no longer wants to be married and asked me to leave. she is prone to moods, and I am really afraid that she will do something stupid like keeping me from seeing my daughter. I was advised by friends who are not lawyers to seek a legal separation before actually filing for a divorce. Do I need to get a lawyer in Michigan or a lawyer in New York ?

LdiJ

I recently moved back to NY from Michigan. My wife and daughter live in michigan. I told by my wife of 5 years that she no longer wants to be married and asked me to leave. she is prone to moods, and I am really afraid that she will do something stupid like keeping me from seeing my daughter. I was advised by friends who are not lawyers to seek a legal separation before actually filing for a divorce. Do I need to get a lawyer in Michigan or a lawyer in New York ?
You need an attorney In MI. MI has jurisdiction.

No, you do not need to file a legal separation in MI. You simply need to file for divorce.

mistoffolees

You need an attorney in MI ASAP.

Moving out without a court order in place weakens your chances for a strong custody position wrt your daughter, so you want a good attorney if that is important to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">