• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicole2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
my husband is an alcoholic, he disrupts our life (3 kids) can i leagally make him move out of our home? we have been married for 18 years. should i get a legal separation or divorce?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
my husband is an alcoholic, he disrupts our life (3 kids) can i leagally make him move out of our home? we have been married for 18 years. should i get a legal separation or divorce?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What do you want to do? Do you want the marriage to cease to exist? If so get a divorce. If you want to keep the marriage but want to divide all debt and obligations and not live together -- get a legal separation. That is a broad question you are asking.

nicole2000

i just want him to move out, can i make him? i want him to support us! if he doesnt quit drinking i want a divorce, but a lawyer i went to wants to do a separation. my question is can i make him move out of our home. he has not been violent.

candg918

You need to be able to support yourself and also provide a share of support for the children. It is very difficult to support two households on one income. Are you prepared to do so?

mistoffolees

i just want him to move out, can i make him? i want him to support us! if he doesnt quit drinking i want a divorce, but a lawyer i went to wants to do a separation. my question is can i make him move out of our home. he has not been violent.
You want him to move out of the house and support you? Dream on.

It's his house, too. To get him out, you need to file for divorce or legal separation and ask for possession of the home. However, you need to be able to support yourself.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You can't force him to move out but you can request a court order granting you sole possession of the marital home. As for supporting you -- as everyone else has said, YOU need to do that. If he is an alcoholic you won't be able to count on him for child support let alone spousal support. And spousal support is NOT a guarantee in the state of Ohio. Are you working? What do you earn? What does he earn? What are your educational levels? What is the highest each of you has earned?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">