• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jadyn6

Hi My husband and I have been seperated since july 2nd 2009, We dont want a divorce but I am thinking about legal seperation? I wanted some information on what it entails. I wanted to make set days when he can see the children, at present he sees them at our marital home as he doesnt want to take them to his appartment. I dont want this any more I want him to take them to his place and not just come and go as and when he pleases. Its to difficult emotionally to cope with. Will it be costly?
Please help!
Melanie, south windsor, ct

mistoffolees

Hi My husband and I have been seperated since july 2nd 2009, We dont want a divorce but I am thinking about legal seperation? I wanted some information on what it entails. I wanted to make set days when he can see the children, at present he sees them at our marital home as he doesnt want to take them to his appartment. I dont want this any more I want him to take them to his place and not just come and go as and when he pleases. Its to difficult emotionally to cope with. Will it be costly?
Please help!
Melanie, south windsor, ct
Do a Google search for "legal separation ct". You'll find that the grounds and processes are very similar to divorce.

Yes, you can request that the court grant you exclusive rights to the marital home in which case he'd have to see the kids elsewhere. That can all be handled in the child custody / visitation portion of the decree.

As for the cost? It's impossible to say because it's all up to the two of you. If you agree on everything and handle it yourself, it would cost next to nothing. If you get attorneys involved and then proceed to fight tooth and nail over every single issue, it could cost a fortune. Overall, the cost is probably not going to be all that different from getting a divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">