• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal separation in Alabama?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lulululu

What is the name of your state? AL

I have read about legal separation statutes for Alabama, but I have one question....

If you are legally separated, do you HAVE to live in separate houses? Is there ever a question about whether or not you are really separated?

TIA

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
LEGAL SEPARATION: Alabama recognizes legal separation, and shall enter a decree of legal separation if all of the following requirements are satisfied:
(1) The court determines that the jurisdictional requirements for the dissolution of a marriage have been met.
(2) The court determines the marriage is irretrievably broken or there exists a complete incompatibility of temperament or one or both of the parties desires to live separate and apart.
(3) To the extent that it has jurisdiction to do so, the court has considered, approved, or provided for child custody, and has entered an order for child support in compliance with Rule 32 of the Alabama Rules of Judicial Administration.
A decree of legal separation does not terminate the marital status of the parties. [Based on Alabama State Divorce Code - Chapter 2, Section 30-2-40]
http://www.womansdivorce.com/alabama.html

Looks like separate residences to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">