• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation ending in divorce in Iowa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I am married to an u.s. army soldier. We have been married for nine years. He wants a divorce and has sent me a legal separation document to complete and return to him. I have two questions, for now.

Is a legal separation required in Iowa to receive a divorce?
We use our permanent address as Des Moines Iowa (property taxes, taxes, voting, vehicle registration) but stationed in Fort Belvoir, VA (his driver's license is VA because of the urgency of having to renew before he went to Iraq last year, typically he carries an IA license). I have moved out of the resident with him and am living back in Iowa.

We have been married for nine years (married in Iowa) am I entitled to alimony?
I separated from my job to relocate for the army move, sold all my stock and cashed in all my retirement for our survival.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I am married to an u.s. army soldier. We have been married for nine years. He wants a divorce and has sent me a legal separation document to complete and return to him. I have two questions, for now.

Is a legal separation required in Iowa to receive a divorce?
We use our permanent address as Des Moines Iowa (property taxes, taxes, voting, vehicle registration) but stationed in Fort Belvoir, VA (his driver's license is VA because of the urgency of having to renew before he went to Iraq last year, typically he carries an IA license). I have moved out of the resident with him and am living back in Iowa.

I separated from my job to relocate for the army move, sold all my stock and cashed in all my retirement for our survival.
Iowa is probably the proper jurisdiction. However I would definitely get a consult with a local attorney before signing anything at all.

mistoffolees

There's not a simple answer to that. To see the factors considered, go to:
Iowa Alimony Laws

In most cases, alimony is only awarded for long term (> 10 year) marriages, but there are plenty of exceptions, so see an attorney.

Keep in mind that you'll probably be entitled to part of his military pension. A lot of people forget that until it's too late.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">