• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation in Idaho

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blevdog

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I am stationed in California but my wife lives in Idaho and we were married in Idaho.
I am just curious what the laws regarding a legal separation in Idaho are and what the laws for divorce are. We have not lived together in almost 2 years now.
Any help is VERY much appreciated.
She's the one that wants this I don't want a divorce but I also don't want to get blind sided.

SHORTY LONG

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I am stationed in California but my wife lives in Idaho and we were married in Idaho.
I am just curious what the laws regarding a legal separation in Idaho are and what the laws for divorce are. We have not lived together in almost 2 years now.
Any help is VERY much appreciated.
She's the one that wants this I don't want a divorce but I also don't want to get blind sided.
Get in touch with base legal, and discuss this with a JAG officer. For
sooner or later it will end up in their laps anyway!

blevdog

I plan to get in touch with them but I just wanted to know if anyone could give me the actual seperations laws for Idaho and whether I needed to file up there or if I could file from down here. It should be uncontested other than we own a house and 2 vehicles together. Not sure what the laws are in Idaho for property. Like if she would have to either pay me off for the house or we would have to sell or how that would work.
Thanks.

LdiJ

I plan to get in touch with them but I just wanted to know if anyone could give me the actual seperations laws for Idaho and whether I needed to file up there or if I could file from down here. It should be uncontested other than we own a house and 2 vehicles together. Not sure what the laws are in Idaho for property. Like if she would have to either pay me off for the house or we would have to sell or how that would work.
Thanks.
Basically you can plan on debts and assets being divided 50/50 (those that accrued during the marriage).

If she wants to keep the house, then she would have to refinance it for enough to both take you off the mortgage and pay you your share of the equity....unless you exchange equity for other assets. If she can't qualify to do that then the house would have to be sold and the proceeds split.

From the way that you worded your initial post, I am assuming that you are military. How long have you been married? How long have you been in the military? Are there any children? How much equity do you have in the home?

blevdog

I've been in the military for 10 years married for 5 years.
1 child. As for equity roughly 10-15K we just bought it about 2 years ago.
I was kinda figuring on the 50/50 thing which is fine. I was just curious as to the laws of Idaho cause we haven't lived together for 2 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">