• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Separation vs.Living Apart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CroweW

What is the name of your state? NY
what is the difference between a legal separation and simply living apart? are there issues of division of property and support?i have moved out to accomodate my wife, in hopes that time and space will help heal the relationship. does this put me at a disadvantage in future proceedings?

G

gooberitiz

YES...it means you are still married

so if she charges things up the wazoo you are both still liable.

Who's name is the house in? Both?

CroweW

house is in both names. everything is in both names. i really want to know if a legal separation means anything

stephenk

a legal separation filed with the court means debt incurred by each spouse after the filing date is that spouse's personal debt and not community property debt.

Goober is right. Living apart does not mean anything if spouse runs up credit card bill. you are both responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">