• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal separtation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

holladay

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I want to know if I have the ability to request marriage counselling even though there are no children involved in the marriage? Can I make him go to counselling to try to repair the marriage?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

holladay said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I want to know if I have the ability to request marriage counselling even though there are no children involved in the marriage?

My response:

Sure, you can request counseling. But, you can't force your spouse to go with you if that spouse doesn't want to go.

In summary, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

IAAL

H

holladay

court ordered counseling

ok, but what I want to know is if one party request it and can show that it would be benefical to the marriage can the court grant manditory counselling?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: court ordered counseling

holladay said:
ok, but what I want to know is if one party request it and can show that it would be benefical to the marriage can the court grant manditory counselling?

My response:

Then why didn't you say that in your initial post?

The answer, however, remains the same. A court cannot "force" a person to obtain psychological or marital counseling. Counseling needs to be voluntary, and the parties need to have a "willingness" to obtain and benefit from such counseling.

If one party doesn't want it, then no benefit will come of it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">