• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bunited

What is the name of your state? Ca.

My wife and I have seperated (verbally) for a couple of mos. now. Live in the same house (own), kids and talk about maybe working things out eventually. She pretty much has initiated this mos. ago. The business I own does not generate the lifestyle that some of her friends have, we do have other issues. I have a new website I am developing and I am sure and I'm being told it is going to definately take off. Since I have not initiated this seperation and for the reasons we are seperated (frankly, I'm a little disturbed) I do not know If I want to work things out later. We probably will, but I have been told that if I actually file for a legal seperation it will freeze our assets at that point and she will not be entitled (if we divorce) to anything additionally gained after my filing.

Any info thanks, doing a great service.

Last edited:

LdiJ

bunited said:
What is the name of your state? Ca.

My wife and I have seperated (verbally) for a couple of mos. now. Live in the same house (own), kids and talk about maybe working things out eventually. She pretty much has initiated this mos. ago. The business I own does not generate the lifestyle that some of her friends have, we do have other issues. I have a new website I am developing and I am sure and I'm being told it is going to definately take off. Since I have not initiated this seperation and for the reasons we are seperated (frankly, I'm a little disturbed) I do not know If I want to work things out later. We probably will, but I have been told that if I actually file for a legal seperation it will freeze our assets at that point and she will not be entitled (if we divorce) to anything additionally gained after my filing.

Any info thanks, doing a great service.
Being legally separated requires you to maintain separate households..I believe. If you then get back together you would no longer be separated therefore the "freeze" you are talking about would no longer exist.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

LdiJ said:
Being legally separated requires you to maintain separate households..I believe.

MY RESPONSE: More bullcrap from LdiJ. Separate households is NOT a requirement of "legal separation" in California.

If you then get back together you would no longer be separated therefore the "freeze" you are talking about would no longer exist.

MY RESPONSE: Another idiotic statement from LdiJ. Legal separation merely places two people in the capacity of "roommates" if they are still living together under one roof. That's all. All financial ties are cut, and responsibility for one another ceases. The marriage still exists, however, but it's merely "on paper". A dissolution is required to end the marriage, and then at that time, all marital assets and liabilities are divided - - up to the point of the date that the "legal separation" was granted.

LdiJ, I'm asking you - - - stop responding to California threads. You don't know what you're talking about.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">