• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Seperation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JLaCroix

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have recently told my husband i want to be seperated. It's not for the first time however as i had left home for a month a year ago. When i left last time we had a very heated argument and i left and stayed with a friend (male) who I should point out was both of our friends because i had no where else to go. I moved back in only because he threatened to try to take full custody of our 5 year old daughter. Since that date I have been miserable but had no where to go.

Last week we got into it again and I told him it was over. He got very angry and again threatened to just take the house and sell it claiming his child will "get used to wherever she ends up" instead of thinking about trying to not hurt her any more than she will be. Since that date he has not left the house and continues to act as if nothing happened. I keep reminding him i am serious and he needs to leave so that we can work on our own problems and he says he understands but will not leave.

Here is my dilemma. We have been married for 6 years and together for 8. He owned this house when i met him and has never put my name on it (as well as a lot of other things). I understand i am still entitled to half of the equity, however what happens if i feel it best not to move my daughter somewhere new and to stay here. Do i have a right to the house? And secondly if i get legally seperated and lets say he lets me keep the house, can i get a roomate? The reason I ask is because the same male friend I mentioned earlier also my best friend has no where to go right now and if i do this on my own i will not be able to afford it. I need the help of a second income. And on the other side what if i move out and get a place of my own. Can i again have a roomate without affecting our eventual divorce? Or can that be held against me in any way?

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">