• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally Liability? (when not Divorced)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glo615

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My dad has been living in California for 35 years and has been separated from my mom (who still lives in New Jersey) for 50 years . They never got divorced, can nursing homes, hospitals, doctors, etc. come after my mom for medical expenses and other fees not paid by his medicare. My dad is sick in the hospital currently.

My mom did have my dad sign a document back in the mid 1970s (using a lawyer) giving up his claim to her home. She alluded she paid him a dollar....I'm not sure what this document is called, but she is very concerned about her money in th bank, mutual funds, IRAs, etc. Thank you.

Anthony

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My dad has been living in California for 35 years and has been separated from my mom (who still lives in New Jersey) for 50 years . They never got divorced, can nursing homes, hospitals, doctors, etc. come after my mom for medical expenses and other fees not paid by his medicare. My dad is sick in the hospital currently.

My mom did have my dad sign a document back in the mid 1970s (using a lawyer) giving up his claim to her home. She alluded she paid him a dollar....I'm not sure what this document is called, but she is very concerned about her money in th bank, mutual funds, IRAs, etc. Thank you.

Anthony
Oh ouch!

Your mom needs a consult with a local attorney ASAP!

She should not delay on this at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">