• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legally married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coachgrl01

What is the name of your state?virginia

I unfortunatley recently found out that a guy I have been dating is currently in a bigamous marriage. And I want to find out how honest he is being about the legal ramifications. He married a woman back in 1991, separated with her in 2001, but didn't get a divorce until nov. of 2003. However, within that two year time period, he met another women and married her in jan. of 2003. Since he was still legally married to the first wife, then he says that the marriage with the second wife, is invalid in the state of virginia and is a bigamous realtionship. Is this true?

Also there are two children involved in the second non legal marriage. What type of child support issues arise with custody when you are in a non lawful marriage?

Furthermore, he now wants to get out of the relationship with this second women, however she is threatening to put him in jail and slam him with high child support bills, since he willingly illegally married her. Can she do this, even though she knew he was legally married at the time that he married her? And if so, how long is the jail time associated with a bigamous relationship?

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

coachgrl01 said:
What is the name of your state?virginia

I unfortunatley recently found out that a guy I have been dating is currently in a bigamous marriage. And I want to find out how honest he is being about the legal ramifications. He married a woman back in 1991, separated with her in 2001, but didn't get a divorce until nov. of 2003. However, within that two year time period, he met another women and married her in jan. of 2003. Since he was still legally married to the first wife, then he says that the marriage with the second wife, is invalid in the state of virginia and is a bigamous realtionship. Is this true?

Also there are two children involved in the second non legal marriage. What type of child support issues arise with custody when you are in a non lawful marriage?

Furthermore, he now wants to get out of the relationship with this second women, however she is threatening to put him in jail and slam him with high child support bills, since he willingly illegally married her. Can she do this, even though she knew he was legally married at the time that he married her? And if so, how long is the jail time associated with a bigamous relationship?

Thanks!

My response:

And you want to get involved with this slimebag?

What's wrong with you, anyway?

Where's the trailer in your story?

IAAL

coachgrl01

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

And you want to get involved with this slimebag?

What's wrong with you, anyway?

Where's the trailer in your story?

IAAL
I am not involved with him anymore. I wanted to know how honest he was being about the legal ramifications. Namely, could he really be put in jail and so forth.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

First you say - -
coachgrl01 said:
I unfortunatley recently found out that a guy I have been dating . . .

And now you're saying - -
coachgrl01 said:
I am not involved with him anymore.

Were you lying then, or are you lying now?

Seriously, I don't have time for trailer trash.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">