• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bali Hai

don't get all paranoid or angry or upset...Bali was, by his account, terribly burned in his marriage and subsequent divorce. He has little to no faith in the whole "married" thing, anymore. He's jaded, cynical, bitter and outspoken--but we've all heard his tales of woe and financial ruin.
They are not "tales of woe" dear. I'm a divorce survivor, and like some survivors of anything they try to educate others or better yet prevent it from happening to others. Sorry if I ruffle some feathers in the process.

Ladyback1

They are not "tales of woe" dear. I'm a divorce survivor, and like some survivors of anything they try to educate others or better yet prevent it from happening to others. Sorry if I ruffle some feathers in the process.
oh....so your recounting what has happened to you isn't "a sad story"?
Anyone who has been so burned so badly by someone they loved, has a tale of woe.

You don't ruffle my feathers (anymore).:D
I take you for a man who got the snot kicked out of him during a divorce--and you don't want to see that happen to anyone else. And if in the process you get to vent a little of your frustration, disgust (with family court), irritation, etc. then all the more the better!;)

turfmanager

Yes, it seems that the humor escaped me somehow also. I figured with a bunch of legal minds here I could get a straight answer for something as serious as a divorce but apparently not.

Bali Hai

Yes, it seems that the humor escaped me somehow also. I figured with a bunch of legal minds here I could get a straight answer for something as serious as a divorce but apparently not.
You got you answer. You are legally married here in the good ole USA.

Ladyback1

You got the answer to your question. The US recognizes marriages/weddings that occurred outside the US.

Bali Hai

oh....so your recounting what has happened to you isn't "a sad story"?
Anyone who has been so burned so badly by someone they loved, has a tale of woe.

You don't ruffle my feathers (anymore).:D
I take you for a man who got the snot kicked out of him during a divorce--and you don't want to see that happen to anyone else. And if in the process you get to vent a little of your frustration, disgust (with family court), irritation, etc. then all the more the better!;)
Maybe I got the snot kicked out of me, most people do who get blindsided. And it wasn't because I didn't give a good fight either.;)

Divorce is a nasty business for all parties involved, especially children. Everyone who has been through it has their scars, some deeper than others. I've been divorced from my ex for 14 years and I'm still dealing with the aftermath.

I remarried just over 6 years ago to an absolutely wonderful woman and am happier than I've ever been. I'm sorry that you're divorce was so nasty but your negative experience doesn't mean the rest of us are going to suffer the same fate.

Bali Hai

Divorce is a nasty business for all parties involved, especially children. Everyone who has been through it has their scars, some deeper than others. I've been divorced from my ex for 14 years and I'm still dealing with the aftermath.

I remarried just over 6 years ago to an absolutely wonderful woman and am happier than I've ever been. I'm sorry that you're divorce was so nasty but your negative experience doesn't mean the rest of us are going to suffer the same fate.
Statistically, there is well over a 50 percent chance that you will have the same fate. And that percentage is steadily increasing.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I figured with a bunch of legal minds here I could get a straight answer for something as serious as a divorce but apparently not.
Well, it helps to read the terms of service before agreeing to them - then you would know exactly what you were getting. Did you seriously think you would find a bunch of lawyers waiting to answer questions for free, when they could be working for paying clients? On matters that may be a bit more serious than "am I married?" I mean, really.

Bali Hai

What you should have done was get straight answers for something as serious as divorce BEFORE you got married. Had you taken those answers seriously, you might have avoided this site altogether.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">