• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally married or not? WI divorce, LV marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilac03

I really need help, I finally got a divorce from my ex on Feb 9 th after many years of seperation and then did a dumb thing by getting married in Las vegas on Feb 14th, I was too move in with My "husband" in MN soon, but found out he was cheating on me. I still live in Wi where you have to wait for 6 months after a divorce to get married. I was not going to live in Wi but now i am. The divorce decree states i cant get married for 6 months and did, am I am trouble? How can I annull this marriage? MN seems to state we ARE married, please help, I was fooled by a man who I trusted. I need to know what to do without getting into trouble and staying in WI. I need to know how to rectify this serious issue and NOT be legally married or even illegally married to this man. Please help me!

LdiJ

lilac03 said:
I really need help, I finally got a divorce from my ex on Feb 9 th after many years of seperation and then did a dumb thing by getting married in Las vegas on Feb 14th, I was too move in with My "husband" in MN soon, but found out he was cheating on me. I still live in Wi where you have to wait for 6 months after a divorce to get married. I was not going to live in Wi but now i am. The divorce decree states i cant get married for 6 months and did, am I am trouble? How can I annull this marriage? MN seems to state we ARE married, please help, I was fooled by a man who I trusted. I need to know what to do without getting into trouble and staying in WI. I need to know how to rectify this serious issue and NOT be legally married or even illegally married to this man. Please help me!
Hon, you messed up big time. You weren't supposed to get married for 6 months and you did. You need to consult an attorney immediately. You are probably going to have to annul the Vegas marriage. Its DEFINITELY an illegal marriage.

lilac03

Ugh!

LdiJ said:
Hon, you messed up big time. You weren't supposed to get married for 6 months and you did. You need to consult an attorney immediately. You are probably going to have to annul the Vegas marriage. Its DEFINITELY an illegal marriage.
TY for replying, but I cant afford an atty. I was to move to MN after we were married,(where I am legal?) but then found out he was cheating. Can I just send a copy of my divorce decree to the County court house in las Vegas and just have them null it? Or, should I contact the judge who granted me the divorce here in WI? I had some one re read the divorce document to me and it states "any marriage that takes place within 6 months...will be null and void". So How do I "null and void" it without the atty? I also did not have an atty for my divorce after 14 yrs of marriage. I did not realize actually all that was going on. I was in A car accident last aug and had a 'bleeder" and it has affected some of my cognitive abilities. I did not realize all of this until too late. I Thought I could do it myself ( the divorce after 14 yrs of marriage and I was royaly S#$%#D!) since I have not been working and could not afford a lawyer. Well, I think I can work but my doctor said I am not ready. (long story) I did not realize it was for ANY state until after the marriage took place. I still have memory issues. lol Not funny, I know but, I have the worse luck. TY

LdiJ

lilac03 said:
TY for replying, but I cant afford an atty. I was to move to MN after we were married,(where I am legal?) but then found out he was cheating. Can I just send a copy of my divorce decree to the County court house in las Vegas and just have them null it? Or, should I contact the judge who granted me the divorce here in WI? I had some one re read the divorce document to me and it states "any marriage that takes place within 6 months...will be null and void". So How do I "null and void" it without the atty? I also did not have an atty for my divorce after 14 yrs of marriage. I did not realize actually all that was going on. I was in A car accident last aug and had a 'bleeder" and it has affected some of my cognitive abilities. I did not realize all of this until too late. I Thought I could do it myself ( the divorce after 14 yrs of marriage and I was royaly S#$%#D!) since I have not been working and could not afford a lawyer. Well, I think I can work but my doctor said I am not ready. (long story) I did not realize it was for ANY state until after the marriage took place. I still have memory issues. lol Not funny, I know but, I have the worse luck. TY
You NEED an attorney. You are going to have to find the money somehow.

lilac03

I dont understand

why do I need one? I cant afford one. i had a car accident that left me with no bank acct....medical bills to collections...no job..no husband..no house...didnt even know there was a foreclosuere..I tried to obtain attys' they want money up front and starting around $2,500 retainer...does "null and void" mean the same as annullment? If not I dont understand why i cant just get the courts to "null and void"? IF i contact the judge and gave him the circumstances and the medical evidence of my lower reaction time/cognitive abilites to understand/not knowing it was for ANY state..how much trouble would I get into? is this a felony? misdemeanor? what? I will face the consequences as long as it is not a felony or jail time. I am a licensed social worker and dont want to lose my license. As soon as i am able to be released back to work, I am going back into my field. I know you answer many questions on here and I appreciate and respect that but if I can do it on my own..Please just lead me in the right direction, and what can a lawyer do that I cant? lol..ok, I messed up with not having one for my divorce and the judge asked me why I did not have representation, I said "no money" my savings was depleted after the accident and dont have family for moral or monetary support either...but thank you for your time and I hope you will give me an answer that leads me into the direction that I can do this for myself..there is NO money..TY

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">