• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally married parent of minor, Non-custodial abandoned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jninla

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband and father of my 29 month old son left us early July 2006 (18 months ago) when my son was 11 months old and has not looked back. I filed for child support November 2006 to which they could not locate him. He was finally located in November of 2007 and I am still waiting for information regarding the possible garnishing of his wages. The last time he has seen his son (by my arrangement and funding) was in early August 2007. I've been unaware of his address this entire time except a short time he was living with his mother. My concern is, seeing he hasn't payed a single cent in child support willingly or provided any help or concern for me and his son, he is now telling me he is going to file for divorce with joint custody. I am now curious about Florida's law with these issues being he may have legally abandoned us and has therefore forfeited his right as a parent? I am also curious as to the laws pertaining a separation that has exceeded a particular amount of time that may be just cause for some type of voided marriage? Thank you.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband and father of my 29 month old son left us early July 2006 (18 months ago) when my son was 11 months old and has not looked back. I filed for child support November 2006 to which they could not locate him. He was finally located in November of 2007 and I am still waiting for information regarding the possible garnishing of his wages. The last time he has seen his son (by my arrangement and funding) was in early August 2007. I've been unaware of his address this entire time except a short time he was living with his mother. My concern is, seeing he hasn't payed a single cent in child support willingly or provided any help or concern for me and his son, he is now telling me he is going to file for divorce with joint custody. I am now curious about Florida's law with these issues being he may have legally abandoned us and has therefore forfeited his right as a parent? I am also curious as to the laws pertaining a separation that has exceeded a particular amount of time that may be just cause for some type of voided marriage? Thank you.
In addition to Ohiogal's correct advice:

To read the laws concerning all of your questions, read all of Florida Statutes chapter 61 at www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">