• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

letter to judge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aperture

North Carolina

i have been served with court papers to appear in court. there were some divorce issues which needed to be settled and since my wife/ex-wife has refused to settle out of court i have a letter in the mail saying i need to be in court.
problem is its in North Carolina and i don't live there.

how do i write to the courts and ask them to extend the court date? i have to make arrangements to leave my state, arrangements to travel, arrangements to obtain documents which i need for court and i don't have enough time. i don't have an attorney.

can anyone advise me how to contact the court and ask them to extend the court date to a later time?

seniorjudge

Write a letter and call it a motion for continuance.

Send it to everyone involved in the lawsuit.

Tell the court your name, the case number of the lawsuit, when and where you are supposed to be in court. Then tell the court why you need a continuance. Finally, tell the court when you want it continued to.

Include your complete contact information. Tell the court you sent it to everyone involved in the lawsuit and then give the names and addresses of everyone you sent it to and when you sent it and how (usually by regular mail).

Follow up on it: make sure you got your continuance.

aperture

i am by far not the greatest at writing letters. does this look decent enough to send?

VVVV-------------------------------------------------------------------------VVV

District Court Judges Office
Guilford County
P.O.Box 3008
Greensboro, N.C. 27402-3008

August 11, 2007

Motion For Continuance

Re: Divorce Calendar
Courtroom number: 2D
Session Beginning: August 20, 2007
Judge Presiding: Honorable Peter A. Levy
Courtroom Deputy Clerk: Lisa Myers

Case number: 08-cvd-006257

I humbly ask the courts to grant my motion for continuance for the following reason/s: I live in the State of New York arrangements have to be made for travel and board both of which have been unsuccessful after notice to appear in court. Additionally I am still gathering documents all of which I need present at court. A continuance will allow me the necessary time to obtain every document file that i would need plus make proper arrangements for travel and board accommodations.

I respectfully ask the courts to extend the date to Monday October 1, 2007 or any day thereafter.

Copy of this Motion sent today by postal mail to Plaintiff's Attorney, Norman Jennings Sr, P.O. Box 3150, Greensboro, NC 27401

Respectfully,

signature

My name
My address
My phone number

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Write a letter and call it a motion for continuance.

Send it to everyone involved in the lawsuit.

Tell the court ... when and where you are supposed to be in court. ...

Tell the court you sent it to everyone involved in the lawsuit and then give the names and addresses of everyone you sent it to and when you sent it and how (usually by regular mail).

You are missing the stuff above.

aperture

i diid say motion for continuance. after the date. just that in the letter its in bold and centered. i dont know how else to state this.

i stated that i sent it to the attorney for plaintiff. i dont have my wife/ex wife's home address. the only thing i have is her attorney's address.

what am i doing wrong because i dont know how to fix it. i thought i covered it .

Gracie3787

It's usually not a good idea to openly post a case number or other identifying info on the internet, so you might want to edit your post and remove those things.

seniorjudge

i diid say motion for continuance. after the date. just that in the letter its in bold and centered. i dont know how else to state this.

i stated that i sent it to the attorney for plaintiff. i dont have my wife/ex wife's home address. the only thing i have is her attorney's address.

what am i doing wrong because i dont know how to fix it. i thought i covered it .
Much better.

But remove the identifying info.

aperture

oh yeah but the info i intentionally did not add any real identifying information.
for the purpose of this post i just edited out the names and numbers. the information is fictional but the structure and wording is what i was concerned about.

thank you both for stressing that point though.
its appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">