• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steveslr95

NY. I am self employed and I am considering a divorce. My question is, when I am divorced can a person or persons sue me and my business if my ex-wife causes any injuries or death by accident to another party if she still resides in my house? I am not incorporated.

tuffbrk

I'm sure a Senior will be by to answer your question. We have a few tax experts that are members that will provide you with good advice.

Just curious as to why you would believe that your Ex would reside with you after the divorce?!

nextwife

If YOU own the house, and she is a tenant, carry appropriate insurance & liability. If she is co-owner, insist she buy out your interest using a refi in her name only as part of the agreement. Do NOT agree to keep the mortgage if she keeps the house!

LdiJ

NY. I am self employed and I am considering a divorce. My question is, when I am divorced can a person or persons sue me and my business if my ex-wife causes any injuries or death by accident to another party if she still resides in my house? I am not incorporated.
Once you are divorced, you have no legal liability for anything that your ex-wife does, other than whatever liability you would have as a landlord if she continues to reside in your home.

If she remains on the deed to the home...perhaps until it sells...then the home would be at risk, but not your business unless it is a partnership and she retains partnership status.

steveslr95

I'm sure a Senior will be by to answer your question. We have a few tax experts that are members that will provide you with good advice.

Just curious as to why you would believe that your Ex would reside with you after the divorce?!
She has a drinking problem but is a good person otherwise. I am doing this to protect my best interests. Thanks for your reply.

mistoffolees

She has a drinking problem but is a good person otherwise. I am doing this to protect my best interests. Thanks for your reply.
I guess it's not very clear how having someone with a drinking problem in your house protects your best interests. If it were me, I'd have her out of there. She needs to be responsible for her own life - you can't solve things for her. And you're putting your own safety and assets at risk.

steveslr95

I guess it's not very clear how having someone with a drinking problem in your house protects your best interests. If it were me, I'd have her out of there. She needs to be responsible for her own life - you can't solve things for her. And you're putting your own safety and assets at risk.
It's not that easy after being with someone for 20years. I guess I'm an idiot!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">