+ Reply to Thread
    steveslr95 is offline Junior Member

Liability after divorce

NY. I am self employed and I am considering a divorce. My question is, when I am divorced can a person or persons sue me and my business if my ex-wife causes any injuries or death by accident to another party if she still resides in my house? I am not incorporated.
    tuffbrk is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure a Senior will be by to answer your question. We have a few tax experts that are members that will provide you with good advice.

Just curious as to why you would believe that your Ex would reside with you after the divorce?!
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    If YOU own the house, and she is a tenant, carry appropriate insurance & liability. If she is co-owner, insist she buy out your interest using a refi in her name only as part of the agreement. Do NOT agree to keep the mortgage if she keeps the house!
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steveslr95 View Post
    NY. I am self employed and I am considering a divorce. My question is, when I am divorced can a person or persons sue me and my business if my ex-wife causes any injuries or death by accident to another party if she still resides in my house? I am not incorporated.
    Once you are divorced, you have no legal liability for anything that your ex-wife does, other than whatever liability you would have as a landlord if she continues to reside in your home.

If she remains on the deed to the home...perhaps until it sells...then the home would be at risk, but not your business unless it is a partnership and she retains partnership status.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffbrk View Post
    I'm sure a Senior will be by to answer your question. We have a few tax experts that are members that will provide you with good advice.

Just curious as to why you would believe that your Ex would reside with you after the divorce?!
    She has a drinking problem but is a good person otherwise. I am doing this to protect my best interests. Thanks for your reply.
    mistoffolees is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steveslr95 View Post
    She has a drinking problem but is a good person otherwise. I am doing this to protect my best interests. Thanks for your reply.
    I guess it's not very clear how having someone with a drinking problem in your house protects your best interests. If it were me, I'd have her out of there. She needs to be responsible for her own life - you can't solve things for her. And you're putting your own safety and assets at risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistoffolees View Post
    I guess it's not very clear how having someone with a drinking problem in your house protects your best interests. If it were me, I'd have her out of there. She needs to be responsible for her own life - you can't solve things for her. And you're putting your own safety and assets at risk.
    It's not that easy after being with someone for 20years. I guess I'm an idiot!