• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liability question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lamuskrat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I have and am researching past posts****************************..

My wife and I have separated as required prior to divorce. It has been amicable thus far. We have just went through bankruptcy (due to her mismanagement and CC's) and now that it is over, have concerns about her inability to manage money. During this tenure of separation, am I going to be legally responsible for any of her debts that she incurs after the "official" separation date?

lamuskrat

just one that I use to transfer funds to my daughter. I moved the rest of the $$$$ to my private / personal acct.

Thanks for asking
Oh and she asked why I moved the money**************well DUH????

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I have and am researching past posts****************************..

My wife and I have separated as required prior to divorce. It has been amicable thus far. We have just went through bankruptcy (due to her mismanagement and CC's) and now that it is over, have concerns about her inability to manage money. During this tenure of separation, am I going to be legally responsible for any of her debts that she incurs after the "official" separation date?
I'm not sure about the specific answer to your question, but I believe the following is correct:

Cancel any joint credit cards or line of credit accounts. For any active cash accounts, ask your attorney, but usually you're OK to take 1/2 of the money and let her take the rest (varies by state, though, so ask first). As for brokerage or retirement accounts, if they're in your name, she can't touch them. If they're in her name, you probably can't stop her, although there would be a default order in place that she shouldn't be depleting those accounts. If she does so, she'll have to justify any expenditures to the court and make them up.

lamuskrat

My question is about me being liable for any debts she incurs after / while we are separated. Example: let's say she defaults on her electric, or rent, am I legally responsible for 1/2 of that debt?

LdiJ

My question is about me being liable for any debts she incurs after / while we are separated. Example: let's say she defaults on her electric, or rent, am I legally responsible for 1/2 of that debt?
Is your name still on the accounts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">