• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied on Marriage certificate...possibly still married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gunder831

Forida....(Military stationed in SC, however still FL resident)

I was married in 2002. My wife never listed a prior marriage on our marriage license. We were married in Okaloosa Cty. In filling out the divorce paperwork (she left the marriage a year ago and resides again in FL)...it turns out she was married prior to our marriage in like 1998.
She never listed it on our marriage license. Also, when I asked her about this information...and asked when and where she filed divorce papers. She wasn't sure. She thought her ex-husband did it in Japan-while she resided in FL. She said she just signed a paper and it wasn't notarized or anything.

I am thinking maybe she was never divorced from her first marriage.
Her first marriage occurred in Okaloosa Cty as well. When I paid to do a search of the US for a divorce for her first marriage...none were found.

I am not sure where to go or what to do. I don't have a lot of money.
I currently have physically custody of our child in SC. However, I may be sent overseas soon and I want to be sure we are divorced so she cannot ruin my credit or other things while I am out of the country.

I do not know if I am legally married if she was never divorced. How can I find out if she was really divorced. Is a Japan divorce recognized here if the paperwork isn't filed here as well? Is my marriage legal if she was never divorced? If my marriage isn't legal...what happens now? Do I still need to file for divorce or what?

This is complicated. I need help! Anyone who can help I would appreciate greatly.

LdiJ

Gunder831 said:
Forida....(Military stationed in SC, however still FL resident)

I was married in 2002. My wife never listed a prior marriage on our marriage license. We were married in Okaloosa Cty. In filling out the divorce paperwork (she left the marriage a year ago and resides again in FL)...it turns out she was married prior to our marriage in like 1998.
She never listed it on our marriage license. Also, when I asked her about this information...and asked when and where she filed divorce papers. She wasn't sure. She thought her ex-husband did it in Japan-while she resided in FL. She said she just signed a paper and it wasn't notarized or anything.

I am thinking maybe she was never divorced from her first marriage.
Her first marriage occurred in Okaloosa Cty as well. When I paid to do a search of the US for a divorce for her first marriage...none were found.

I am not sure where to go or what to do. I don't have a lot of money.
I currently have physically custody of our child in SC. However, I may be sent overseas soon and I want to be sure we are divorced so she cannot ruin my credit or other things while I am out of the country.

I do not know if I am legally married if she was never divorced. How can I find out if she was really divorced. Is a Japan divorce recognized here if the paperwork isn't filed here as well? Is my marriage legal if she was never divorced? If my marriage isn't legal...what happens now? Do I still need to file for divorce or what?

This is complicated. I need help! Anyone who can help I would appreciate greatly.
Yes, a divorce done in Japan would be recognized in the United States. Obviously you have information on her first husband. Track him down and ask him if he divorced her.

seniorjudge

LdiJ said:
Yes, a divorce done in Japan would be recognized in the United States. Obviously you have information on her first husband. Track him down and ask him if he divorced her.
And yes, you need to file for divorce.

Proving someone did or did not get a divorce is practically impossible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">