• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

limitations on military divorce agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tammylchaney

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My new husband was divorced just this last February. He is 20 years Military.
His divorce settlement states that his former wife waived her rights to the military benefits entitled to her at his retirement in 2006.
My question is what are the statute of limitations on this settlement and can she (should she choose) come back and file suit to change the divorce settlement after he retires and get up to half of his retirement benefits. Is she legally entitled to this after the agreement was made that she would not.

She is a nice person and I personally do not have a problem with her. She does not cause problems in our marriage. She is however, Bipolar and I am afraid with this disorder she might "Change her mind" so to speak.
Just keeping an eye on our future. To know how to enter into it should she be able to do this.

Any help given would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

She waived her rights for the pension, all sounded good until you mentioned the mental defect she has. If this mental defect could interupt her ability to understand what took place then it could be back up for consideration. Also if they have been married for the duration of that 20 years, and a stay at home military mom, she could also come back for Spousal maint.

LdiJ

bulldogg70 said:
She waived her rights for the pension, all sounded good until you mentioned the mental defect she has. If this mental defect could interupt her ability to understand what took place then it could be back up for consideration. Also if they have been married for the duration of that 20 years, and a stay at home military mom, she could also come back for Spousal maint.
I agree with what bulldogg has said. However I will also add that the other terms of the settlement are also signficant. Generally when someone waives their right to a military pension, they are recieving something else in the settlement that has similar value.

If she re-opens the settlement she re-opens the ENTIRE settlement. If she was represented by an attorney then her rights were probably properly protected. If she wasn't, and/or the settlement was very one-sided in your husband's favor it could get complicated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">