• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living in Florida - Divorcing wife in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

Must I accept service in Florida while trying to beat her to the punch to get her served in NY?
You can certainly attempt to duck the process server. Means hiding in your house and never answering the door or going out. And you can only do that for so long until she gets the courts permission to use alternate means of service.

But once a process server hands it to you, you've been served. Then, there is no "not accepting" it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am living in Florida and she is trying to get alimony. We think the ball would be in our park in Florida. Trying to do everything without an attorney.
Who is "We"???

I bet you're the new woman, aren't you?

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Who is "We"???

I bet your the new woman, aren't you?
Why? I am sure there are plenty of burly men who answer to "Cathy". :rolleyes:

OP: Why do you think she would be granted alimony in NY but not FL? Alimony is not automatic in NY. Why do you think that it'd be a slam dunk in your partner's favor filing in FL?

How long is the duration of this marriage?

Last edited:

LdiJ

I am living in Florida and she is trying to get alimony. We think the ball would be in our park in Florida. Trying to do everything without an attorney.
The last time I saw someone attempt to do that, they lost because even though they dodged service, the other case was filed first. Trying to play dodging service games and expecting it to work in your favor, absent an attorney being on board with it is just foolish and an exercise in futility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">