• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living together after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darthpaul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife and I were divorced about six years ago, but soon started living together. Have been living together for five years, mostly in Florida, but also North Carolina. Divorce was through Florida. We have split up recently. What does this mean for our divorce paperwork - specifically child support, which she waved me paying through the courts years ago. All my money has gone to the household-deposited into her account, up until now.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife and I were divorced about six years ago, but soon started living together. Have been living together for five years, mostly in Florida, but also North Carolina. Divorce was through Florida. We have split up recently. What does this mean for our divorce paperwork - specifically child support, which she waved me paying through the courts years ago. All my money has gone to the household-deposited into her account, up until now.
Do you mean that she completely waived child support and you were not ordered to pay any at all? Or do you mean that you were ordered to pay child support but weren't required to pay it through the CSE?

If she has primary custody of the child, and its the former, then she could now file for child support. If its the latter, then you are still ordered to pay and need to start paying ASAP.

Darthpaul

I was originally paying through CSE. She waved that so I was paying directly to her, until we got back together. At that time, a "formal" handing over of child support stopped and both our incomes went into the household. I guess I am curious as to what, if anything, has happened as a result of living together and sharing household expenses for so long after our divorce was final. I started paying child support as soon as moved out. Are we still divorced as we both assume? Does all our paperwork still stand?

LdiJ

I was originally paying through CSE. She waved that so I was paying directly to her, until we got back together. At that time, a "formal" handing over of child support stopped and both our incomes went into the household. I guess I am curious as to what, if anything, has happened as a result of living together and sharing household expenses for so long after our divorce was final. I started paying child support as soon as moved out. Are we still divorced as we both assume? Does all our paperwork still stand?
A court order does not go away unless it is vacated by the court. Of course you are still divorced and yes, all of your paperwork still stands, including the child support.

mistoffolees

A court order does not go away unless it is vacated by the court. Of course you are still divorced and yes, all of your paperwork still stands, including the child support.
Just to highlight the last sentence, if they split up again, she can sue him for all those years of child support.

If they're going to be together, he needs to get the divorce decree modified, at least wrt child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">