• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long time Family property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hockeyboy2007

I'm from Minnesota,my name is Scott Thompson.

Is their a way to shelter a property, that we bought from my father 13 years ago and has been in my famliy for over 30 years, he sold it to my far below market value as part of a
early Inheritance as he called it, I want to will it for my childern and don’t want to lose it. The property is only in my name and has been for over 7 years, could I transfer (sell) to a relative and wait a few years, so if she filed I could buy it back from the relative, if so how many years would it have to be out of my name so she couldn’t go after it or is their any other way?
She will just want the money and dosen't care if the kids end up with it...I do, please help.

Thanks

Last edited:

HomeGuru

I'm from Minnesota,my name is Scott Thompson.

Is their a way to shelter a property, that we bought from my father 13 years ago and has been in my famliy for over 30 years, he sold it to my far below market value as part of a
early Inheritance as he called it, I want to will it for my childern and don’t want to lose it. The property is only in my name and has been for over 7 years, could I transfer (sell) to a relative and wait a few years, so if she filed I could buy it back from the relative, if so how many years would it have to be out of my name so she couldn’t go after it or is their any other way?
She will just want the money and dosen't care if the kids end up with it...I do, please help.

Thanks
**A: there are several ways to deal with this issue. Consult an estate/trust attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">