• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

long very long seperation !!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sherandra

I have been seperated for 9 years now, and I don't the know the limitation of how long is one sperated before the marriage is considered dead. This is in the state of new york, but husband is in state of mass. where we were married.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sherandra said:
I have been seperated for 9 years now, and I don't the know the limitation of how long is one sperated before the marriage is considered dead. This is in the state of new york, but husband is in state of mass. where we were married.
My response:

Well, it's obvious that the marriage is "dead" between the two of you; however, it's NOT "dead" insofar as the State of MA is concerned; i.e., your marriage certificate is still "on the books" and you don't have any other "papers" to counter that certificate.

Therefore, one of you needs to file a Petition for dissolution of your marriage. You can file in New York, or he can file in MA. But, the fact of the matter is that until both of you have a "Decree of Dissolution" in your hot, little hands, you're both still married to each other.

IAAL

S

sherandra

thankyou

:) I want to thankyou so much, for you help. I will look into a dislution. I do hope this won't take long. Again thankyou for your answer. It does help me.

G

grumpypoet

not sure if this is the same.

i was married in 1990, maryland
moved to pa were now x from.

we broke up in 1994, i moved back to md
no money on my end so he said he would start separate.
lies!!!!!
we were marrried but not together until 2000
divorce through pa said legally separated after not living together
for 3 years.

i waited for him to pay because he is the one who wanted out
he met someone else.
when divorce finally started it only took a month because of getting things worked out. we worked it out that i would sign if he also paid my lawyer what i owed him.
we were married 9 half years by the time it ended.

he wanted to remarry 2000.
i remarried on 12-31-01 divorced 1-21-00
i was lucky my nw husband waited for my divorce we have been together all most 7 years and have a son 5.

G

grumpypoet

in pa one can file for divorce after being apart for 3 years
without filing for separation. as far as i know a divorce is needed
to get out of a marriage if not we would not need lawyers.
that would sure save time and money!!!

S

sherandra

info on getting "unhitched", Please....

I would like to know if my situation is considered fairly "simple" and how long does it usually take, and a ball park cost?
I was married in MA 10 years ago under pressure as i was pregnant. We were together about 15 months, then separated.
My "husband" and I have no relationship, He has very minimal contact with our son. Maybe sees him once every couple of years for a day, and a few spuratic phone calls. My husband has no interest or problem with my getting the divoece, so it is up to me to proceed....I would like to get on with my life!!!! He is just a dead weight on me ond my son! Can anyone give me some insight?
He does pay some support on an irregular basis and doesn't follow through on paying his share of medical bills.
thankyou!!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">