• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fladad

What is the name of your state? Florida

My wife contacted me and wants mine and our two sons ss#'s as she is puting a life insurance policy on us. Should I be concerned, we have been seperated since May of 04, Divorce is in the works? I contacted her employers hr dept and they veritfied that she is getiing a policy on the three of us. I requested a faxed statement from them and have not received it. I would feel safer for the three of us if there were a paper trail showing she requested the info. And can't she as there mother get the boys ss# from the ss office? Or does she need their birth certificates? I personally think that her real reason is so that she can attempt to claim them on her tax return next month. Can anyone offer advice from previous experience? I have always claimed the children, is there anything that protects me from her attempting this year without this matter being resolved in divorce court when we finally go next year.

LdiJ

fladad said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My wife contacted me and wants mine and our two sons ss#'s as she is puting a life insurance policy on us. Should I be concerned, we have been seperated since May of 04, Divorce is in the works? I contacted her employers hr dept and they veritfied that she is getiing a policy on the three of us. I requested a faxed statement from them and have not received it. I would feel safer for the three of us if there were a paper trail showing she requested the info. And can't she as there mother get the boys ss# from the ss office? Or does she need their birth certificates? I personally think that her real reason is so that she can attempt to claim them on her tax return next month. Can anyone offer advice from previous experience? I have always claimed the children, is there anything that protects me from her attempting this year without this matter being resolved in divorce court when we finally go next year.
You should really ask this question on your other thread....which you halfway did already.

A

automanfl

since she is your ex wife, she could probably get the info from other sources,like old tax returns,or school,perhaps she is being honest,if not,she can find those numbers if she looks hard enough ,being the ex and mom,doesnt your divorce decree mention tax exemptions,if she uses them against the agreement ,she could be in for a lot of hassle

Last edited:

fladad

Looking for advice (reply)

Florida, We are not divorced yet. So there is no legal ruling. Yes, I don't think that when she moved out in May of 04 she took any of the old legal paperwork ie tax, birthcertificates etc. My friends are telling me that she is trying to get the ss# of the children so she can claim them on this years taxes. My accountant says that there is a precident already in place. I have always claimed them, and this past year is no diffrent. Until the divorce, and a judge states who will claim what. Make any sense?

LdiJ

fladad said:
Florida, We are not divorced yet. So there is no legal ruling. Yes, I don't think that when she moved out in May of 04 she took any of the old legal paperwork ie tax, birthcertificates etc. My friends are telling me that she is trying to get the ss# of the children so she can claim them on this years taxes. My accountant says that there is a precident already in place. I have always claimed them, and this past year is no diffrent. Until the divorce, and a judge states who will claim what. Make any sense?
Since there are no court orders in place the tax regs rule on this issue. If the children have been living primarily with you since May, then you are the one entitled to take the exemptions. It has nothing to do with precedent.
If the children had moved out with her, or were primarily in her physical custody then she would have been the one legally entitled to the exemption....and precedent would be irrelevant. Sorry, but your attorney isn't correct that precedent has anything to do with taxes.

fladad

To Ldij

LdiJ said:
Since there are no court orders in place the tax regs rule on this issue. If the children have been living primarily with you since May, then you are the one entitled to take the exemptions. It has nothing to do with precedent.
If the children had moved out with her, or were primarily in her physical custody then she would have been the one legally entitled to the exemption....and precedent would be irrelevant. Sorry, but your attorney isn't correct that precedent has anything to do with taxes.
I appreciate your input. My wife has demonstrated in the past no concern for the well being of the boys, and has only looked out for her own interests. So I am concerned for any angle she may try to go after. When I ask the attorney questions it costs me lots of money and I still got the mortgage to pay....Thanks again, I really mean it. :) I don't understand the threads, so in time I will figure it out. fgs (fladad)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">