• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost money before divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trayon5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. In the days before filing for divorce my wife spent alot of money for lawyers and moving expenses from our community funds that I obviously didn't know about. Do I have any legal right to get any of this back?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. In the days before filing for divorce my wife spent alot of money for lawyers and moving expenses from our community funds that I obviously didn't know about. Do I have any legal right to get any of this back?
No. Legal expenses are legitimate expenses to deduct from marital property.

Moving expenses could possibly be argued against, but unless they're terribly excessive, it's not unreasonable.

Trayon5

Could it be argued that my legal and moving expenses, in spite of being incurred after separation, are also legitimate reasonable marital expenses?

LdiJ

Could it be argued that my legal and moving expenses, in spite of being incurred after separation, are also legitimate reasonable marital expenses?
Possibly, but it depends on the totality of the situation and how it played out. I would guess that at least your initial legal expenses would be a valid marital expense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">