• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lump sum payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dyzzy98

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state ca.
My exhusband filied for the diviorce and it is final, my question is, according to our divorce decree he is supposed to have made a lump sum payment of $5000 to me when we signed the quit claim on the house which he hasnt done. now he is saying I have to pay for part of the repairs on the house which are not in the divorce agreement. am i resposible for 1/2 the payments for repairs? and is there anyway I can put a lien on the house to make sure that I am payed if he trys to sell the housethe total he owes me for the house is $20,000.? Is there anyway to force him to pay the lump sum money he owes me? .

I hope someone from Cal. will give you a better answer. However, I will tell you in several states you can go and put a judgement against him, order in hand, at the county recorders office. This way, if you have them there, when a title company or lawyer clears the house for all dead this one will still show and it will have to be resolved before he can complete the sale.

snodderly

bulldogg is right. Take your divorce decree, a copy of the deed down to the court house and have them put a lien on the house. You can also go to the county District Attorney's Office and have his salary garnished. If you have a divorce decree that states he owes you a certain amount of money and he hasn't paid they will help you out. You won't get your money all at once but a little every month is better than waiting until the house sells.

Also, if he is threatened with garnishment it might motivate him to pay up. Why not send him a letter, tell him he has a certain number of days to pay and if, at the end of that time he has not paid you will start garnishment proceedings. Worked on my ex husband once. He ran right down and took care of the matter :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">