• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lying on marriage license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dezgurl75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. l
North Carolina

I lied on my marriage license stating that my mother was deceased knowing that she was not does that make my marriage not valid

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. l
North Carolina

I lied on my marriage license stating that my mother was deceased knowing that she was not does that make my marriage not valid
not at all. you are still married.

if you want to not be married, your going to get a divorce.

mistoffolees

Wait... it might.

How old are you?
The rules for underage marriages in NC are here:
States N-O -- Marriage Laws in the US by Age -- U.S. Teen Marriage License Laws

If she was 16 or 17 at the time of marriage and lied about consent, it MAY be possible to get the marriage voided, however that is not listed as one of the reasons for voiding a marriage:
Marriage Annulment

If she was under 16, then the marriage is voidable, but that doesn't mean that she's not married. It means that she's married - until she can get a court to void the marriage.

Either way, it's probably easier and less expensive to get a divorce - especially since her only hope of an annulment would be admitting that she committed perjury (unless she was under 16 - in which case she can probably get an annulment without admitting perfury).

LdiJ

The rules for underage marriages in NC are here:
States N-O -- Marriage Laws in the US by Age -- U.S. Teen Marriage License Laws

If she was 16 or 17 at the time of marriage and lied about consent, it MAY be possible to get the marriage voided, however that is not listed as one of the reasons for voiding a marriage:
Marriage Annulment

If she was under 16, then the marriage is voidable, but that doesn't mean that she's not married. It means that she's married - until she can get a court to void the marriage.

Either way, it's probably easier and less expensive to get a divorce - especially since her only hope of an annulment would be admitting that she committed perjury (unless she was under 16 - in which case she can probably get an annulment without admitting perfury).
Its possible that the bigger issue is can her MOTHER get her marriage voided if she is a minor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">