• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MA annulment vs divorce question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlohaGirl

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

The situation: relationship of two years, for which 16 months have been long-distance. Twelve months ago, we decided to get married. At the time, both he and I stated that there was no question "if" we would get married, but "when" and how to pay for a wedding. As military 'housing/living allowance' increases if a person is married, we decided to have civil marriage and put the extra $ aside for the "public" wedding later on.

We have been long distance during entire time of marriage (I've lived here for over 2 years, he doesn't live here). Now he thinks that getting married was "a mistake," cut off communication mostly, and has indicated he doesn't want to continue the relationship at all. I am doubting if he thought through the whole "marriage" thing, richer, poorer, better, worse, etc.

Given this situation, and he does not live in Massachusetts, is it feasible to get the marriage annulled? Does the word "idiocy" in the Mass. laws refer to THIS kind of idiocy, or actual not-having-capacity-by-virtue-of-insanity/feeblemindedness kind of idiocy? Is there anything in this history that gives grounds for annulment?

Thank you for your time and comments.

Last edited:

LdiJ

AlohaGirl said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

The situation: relationship of two years, for which 16 months have been long-distance. Twelve months ago, we decided to get married. At the time, both he and I stated that there was no question "if" we would get married, but "when" and how to pay for a wedding. As military 'housing/living allowance' increases if a person is married, we decided to have civil marriage and put the extra $ aside for the "public" wedding later on.

We have been long distance during entire time of marriage (I've lived here for over 2 years, he doesn't live here). Now he thinks that getting married was "a mistake," cut off communication mostly, and has indicated he doesn't want to continue the relationship at all. I am doubting if he thought through the whole "marriage" thing, richer, poorer, better, worse, etc.

Given this situation, and he does not live in Massachusetts, is it feasible to get the marriage annulled? Does the word "idiocy" in the Mass. laws refer to THIS kind of idiocy, or actual not-having-capacity-by-virtue-of-insanity/feeblemindedness kind of idiocy? Is there anything in this history that gives grounds for annulment?

Thank you for your time and comments.
It refers to not having the capacity....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">